History

LifeCare Hospice History

1979     Summer   Friends of Hospice begin meeting

 

1980     July         Adopted name Hospice of Wayne County, Ohio, Inc.

           

1982     Feb          First class of volunteers trained

            Aug          First office located in Wooster Community Hospital

            Fall          Served 8 patients

 

1987                    Served 34 new patients

 

1989     May         Moved to Beall Avenue from original office in the Wooster Community Hospital

           

1990     May         Medicare certification approved

           

1991     Sept        Developed mission statement

            Oct 10     Licensed by State of Ohio

                          

1992     Apr          Moved to 2330 Cleveland Road

            Aug         Celebrated 10-year anniversary

                           Served 106 new patients; 116 total

                          

1993                    Began care for nursing home patients

                          

1994                    First Certified Registered Nurse Hospice in Wayne County

                          

1995                    Served 142 new patients; total 166, average daily census 25

                           15th anniversary of lst Hospice board

                          

1996                    Groundbreaking for new building on Back-Orrville Road

                           Patient wish fund: Hospice Hopes: (partnership and funded by Wooster Noon Lions - grants first wishes)

                          

1997                    Fifteenth year anniversary

                           Moved to Back-Orrville Road location

                          

1998                    Approved as a provider for the State of Ohio at Apple Creek Developmental Center

                           224 patients served - 200 as new admissions

 

1999                    Served 280 patients; 250 as new admissions

                          

2000                    Achieved JCAHO Accreditation

                           Served 303 patients

                           Increased Bereavement Support Services to Children through Wooster Noon Lions Support

                          

2001                    Served 359 patients

                          

2002                    Began planning for Palliative Care program development

                          

2003                    Served 464 patients

                           Formed an Advance Care Planning coalition collaborating with local

                           Care providers

                           Fran Loess, volunteer founder of HPC, Named by National Hospice Foundation as Volunteers are the Heart of Hospice Award winner –

                           Recognized at National Volunteer

                           Conference

 

2004                    Name changed to Hospice & Palliative Care of Greater Wayne County

                           Implemented new logo

                           Started palliative medicine program

                           Joined Hospice Alliance of Ohio

                           Friendtique opened – a nonprofit resale organization where profits go to support Hospice & Palliative Care of Greater Wayne County

                          

2005                    Initiated Loess Life Legacy Project using volunteers

                           Opened LifeCare outpatient clinic at the Viola Startzman Free Clinic

                           Served 523 patients

 

2007                    Acquired Hospice of Wadsworth/Rittman and establish new office at 185 E. Main St Wadsworth

                          

2010                    Purchased 19+ acres along Akron Road for new

                           Hospice facility

                           Served 682 patients

                           Board of Directors votes to move forward with an inpatient unit and capital campaign

                          

2011                     Capital Campaign begins with a goal of raising $4,000,000.

                           Partners with Hospice of Holmes County

                          

2013     June 17    Changed name to LifeCare Hospice   

 

2014     July         Moved into new building at 1900 Akron Rd.

 

2015     Mar 18     Admitted first patient to the Gault Inpatient Unit

 

We are grateful to the many physicians who have supported us over the years, especially to Dr. Spiess, Dr. Lun, Dr. Stallings, Dr. Kearney, Dr. Peabody, Dr. Lance and Dr. Jodi Hannan.

 

Dr. Walter Kearney,  one of the founders of LifeCare Hospice,  has served LifeCare for over 35 years.  He was a Medical Director for many years, served 2 terms on the Board of Directors, was on the Capitol Campaign “A Place Like Home” Fundraising Committee to raise funds to  build our new building and inpatient unit, and remains involved today in volunteer and community relations activities.

Locations:

WAYNE COUNTY OFFICE
1900 AKRON RD.
WOOSTER, OH 44691
330-264-4899

HOLMES COUNTY OFFICE (FORMERLY HOSPICE     OF HOLMES COUNTY)
1633 S. WASHINGTON ST.
MILLERSBURG, OH 44654
330-674-8448

WADSWORTH-RITTMAN IN MEDINA COUNTY

1-800-884-6547

(FORMERLY HOSPICE OF WADSWORTH-RITTMAN)